Friday, June 06, 2008

Parenting= hard


So our sweet angel baby has reflux issues. The past two nights have been hard, but in a weird sort of way, it's fun to try to troubleshoot. Putting him down after a good feeding on his back equals five minutes of sleep then waaaaaah! and kicking legs trying to get the gas bubbles out. Okay, so let's try elevating him for a few minutes afterward... Wow, that helps! Or, how about letting him sleep in his carseat? Out like a light... I have been really hard on myself about him getting back to his birthweight. He is still not there yet at almost 3 weeks, but he's gaining a 1/2 oz. a day, which is where he's supposed to be. I simply cannot make him eat more, nor can I make everything better or "perfect" for him (or me) all the time. I need to be gentler with myself and this transition. It's sort of like having a new job. I'm not going to know everything after 2 weeks. It will get better and I am doing the best I can.

We get to feed on demand as of our doctor appointment this morning. This means that I will be able to let Mike give him one bottle during the night. This also means that we can let him wake on his own during the night to feed. I think this will be good for all of us.

Mimi and Grandpa are coming tonight for Gina's 40th birthday party tomorrow. We are taking JM to introduce him to many family members and I am super excited to be "out" in the real world at a party setting! Nana came and watched JM the other day and I was able to shoot up to the Domain for approximately 1 hour of serious impulse purchasing. Decision making is especially easy under the gun. I bought 2 halters (non maternity! huzzah!) from Banana Republic in pretty jewel tones and 2 pairs of cute sandals in a matter of minutes and it felt great.

AC: Forgiveness

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm so happy that motherhood has not squelched your shopping bug! It's very important to buy things for you these days...

lauren said...

is mom going by 'nana' these days? interesting..

TL Tipton said...

The first 2 weeks after bringing my daughter home were misserable. She suffered terribly from acid reflux. She cried continuously those first 2 weeks because her acid reflux was so bad. The only relief seemed to come when we would hold her upright for extended periods. Her mother was a wreck as my daughter would not take her breast milk and only marginally took the formula. Finally we were urged to put her on a "pre-digested" protien formula. I believe it was called "Alumentum". Later we also discovered that she was lactose intolerant. Immediately upon trying the new formula, she was a changed baby. Of course we would hold her upright for at least 30 minutes after every feeding. She stopped crying and honestly became the happiest baby I've ever seen. In fact I don't recall her ever waking up in the middle of the night crying after that. She is 12 years old now, and although she no longer suffers from acid reflux, she does remain lactose intolerant.