Thursday, January 29, 2009
Enjoy every moment with JM. While he is relatively portable, I want to get out and have as much fun as possible. We joined two moms groups in the past few months and I am happy to say that I've met some cool ladies and have done some fun things while 'getting out' with the little guy. I want to continue to work on taking the initiative to invite other moms for coffee. Two people have invited me to walk or have coffee in the past two weeks and it was really flattering. I want to flatter others in this way and work on my building my "mom network."
Lose this muffin top. I am not the most disciplined when it comes to my no carbs after 5pm rule, BUT I will say that we are on the whole eating a lot healthier and I have cut out about 50% of my weeknight wine drinking. I am also LOVING the Zumba class at my gym. It is this dance class set to modern music and it really fills my heart with joy to go. I don't think I've ever loved working out so much, evah!
Be a better spouse, being more present (less FB) and consisently doing the things that fill up my spouse's love tank, especially including doing the things around the house neither one of us wants to do, like the ironing and record-keeping. Making some strides here and particularly proud of times when I have lately shut down the computer at night to talk to Mike or watch a movie with him. I love talking with him.
Call my grandmas once a week. I am stinking this one up big time! Need to work on this.
Set aside one day a week to categorize our expenses and review our budget. Need to work on this, too. I am picking Friday as my day to do this right now! I did do this Friday last week, so let's start a trend.
Continue developing more confidence in my own decisions, desires and needs. I really like the routine that Mike and I have going on where he watches JM in the mornings and gives me a chance to shower, eat breakfast and pray before JM sees me, remembers he's hungry and I'm on the clock for the day. I've been filling up my water bottle every morning during this time, making Mike's lunch (see love-tank resolution aforementioned) and trying to get things organized before Mike leaves and I'm on my own. It really helps to start the day off right and I'm no longer in my pajamas still at 10am because I get caught up reading emails, feeding JM, etc.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Originally uploaded by our "nut" house
Is little pumpkin not the cutest in his little cloth diaper and with his four toofers?
Did I mention that we weighed him last week and he'd gained 1.5 pounds in the past 2 weeks? He is up to 17 lbs 5 oz. The bottomless pit thing is paying off!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
1. I was born in Pittsburgh, PA. My dad grew up there and was working as an Assistant News Director for KDKA TV.
2. Although I have run 6 half marathons and 1 marathon, I didn't start running until I was 27. Before that I hated running and could barely run around the block.
3. I've recently discovered that when I am having a hard day with my son, a dance party quickly turns my mood and his around quite quickly.
4. I have lived in a lot of states: PA, NJ, IA, WI, NC, IL, TX and for 6 months in Madrid, Spain in college. Some of the best times in my life were in WI for college, Madrid, NC when I lived in Lincoln Green and now living in Austin. The worst times were living in Madison out of college and in Chicago.
5. My ideal day would include reading on the beach and lots of pina coladas, which I only seem to drink on vacation.
6. I am sort of obsessed with using cloth diapers. It literally pains me to have to use a disposable.
7. I met my husband at church, but we didn't start dating until 2 years later. And he proposed to me on a Wednesday.
8. Making and receiving mix cds is a great joy of my life.
9. I am supposed to be doing the South Beach diet, but I ate some coffee ice cream last night.
10. Right now I am listening to This Must Be the Place by the Talking Heads on satellite radio. I love this song
11. Recently, I've started wearing a lot more clothing that has an elasticized waistband and that scares me.
12. I love being a mom and doing dorky stay at home mom things. My son started blowing kisses recently and it's adorable
13. I am hosting a mom's get together in a little over an hour and am a little nervous about it.
14. Right now I am reading Elizabeth Berg's Joy School, and the main character reminds me of myself with her randomness
15. Every morning I pour myself a big cup of coffee, but only drink half.
16. I generally cannot make it past 10pm at night
17. Right now I am wearing large ridiculous slippers that look like giant pigs
18. I am counting down the days until Elizabeth comes to visit for SXSW. We missed it last year and I cannot wait to do it again.
19. I am not very detail-oriented and my husband is, thank God.
20. In my lifetime I have worked as a camp counselor, a lifeguard, a waitress (w/w) at TGI Fridays during the era of flair, a receptionist at a church, on the swing shift running t-shirts through a dryer, as a TV promotions producer, as a bartender and as a AVP of marketing for an insurance company.
21. I hate drying my hair with a passion
22. I love trying new recipes, but rarely make the same thing twice
23. My favorite article of clothing is a cashmere turtleneck I got on sale
24. I cannot handle having dry lips and reapply lip balm at least 10 times a day
25. I do not like mayonnaise laden items that have 'salad' in their name: potato, egg, bean, chicken, tuna, etc.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Originally uploaded by our "nut" house
The months continue to fly by. It's really starting to sink in to me that our baby is growing up and it's hard for me to accept. I cried last week because we had to move the setting on JM's crib down past the newborn top setting. We had to do this, because I walked into his room and the little stinker was trying to pull himself up after his nap and I had horrible visions of him flinging himself over the top of the crib. I told Mike the other day that it's really sad to think that in a little over a trimester, I will be planning JM's first birthday party. Anyway:
JM continues to be into EVERYTHING. He is the most curious little monkey. He likes his toys all right, but what he really wants are things he should not have. As I write this, he is shredding a magazine to bits.
Movement.... He continues to be on the move. It's still not crawling in the traditional sense of the word with the knees, but he can pull himself across a room quickly, so we're calling it crawling. He uses his whole upper body to pull himself and will throw in a knee here and there. He just started pushing his booty in the air in a downward dog pose and is getting really close to going from a laying down position to sitting. He can't pull himself up onto an object yet, but will do so any day. He has also started doing this thing where he bounces in a sitting position and we think he's trying to dance.
Talking... He has just started making sounds that sound a lot more like words. He will say ba ba ba and LOVES to echo fart and raspberry noises back to you (never did I think I would be making fart noises in the middle of the grocery store, but whatever works!). There don't seem to be any rhyme or reason, but Mike and I are desparately pushing mama and dada and are also trying out a little sign language here and there. He also gets SO excited by Bella and seeing any dog in general and will scream at the top of his lungs. We call him the Dog Screamer.
Eating.... He continues to be a good eater. I am actually quite impressed by the amount of food he is willing to eat. He has kind of a bottomless pit thing going on and will continue to keep opening his mouth and grunting far beyond when I'd think he'd be full. I am still breastfeeding, as well. If he keeps eating like this, one of these days, I'd think he's going to catch up to other kids on the weight thing. Anyway, I am pretty fearless with giving him table foods. The past few days, he's tried string cheese, a mashed up goldfish cracker and blueberries. I have also started "making" his baby food, which is not as hard as you'd think. Basically, I just puree whatever we had for dinner if it's not too spicy, add some water and throw it in some ice cube trays. He's seemed to really enjoy spaghetti and turkey meatballs, chicken with rice and the pot roast with carrots and potatoes I've made recently.
Sleeping... He continues to sleep through the night well. Generally he's down for the count at 7 and sleeps until 4 or 5, eats and goes back down until 7ish. He is taking 2 naps a day. A shorter one in the morning, like an hour and fifteen to hour and a half. In the afternoons, it's more like 2 hours. If he doesn't get a long enough nap, you can tell!
Teeth... as of this week, we are up to four. Teething makes him a generally unhappy camper, so I look forward to him getting them all in and over with.
Personality... No one would say that this child is a wallflower. Between his noises and curiosity, he makes friends whereever we go. Mike and I are both kind of quiet, so I don't know where he gets this from, but it's sure fun to be around him! I find myself wanting to kiss him all the time, which I am sure someday will be embarassing for him, so I'm definitely trying to get my fill now!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Where were you?
Originally uploaded by our "nut" house
John Michael just watched the Inaugeration of Barack Obama. He celebrated the occasion by wearing a red, white and blue outfit and eating the lid of a jar of peanuts.
Son, I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful new chapter of history. Yes, we can!
Thursday, January 15, 2009
That's all I got right now... AC: release
Monday, January 12, 2009
In 2009, I want to:
- Enjoy every moment with JM. Someday, someday soon I may have two babies, which will make life altogether much more complicated. While he is relatively portable, I want to get out and have as much fun as possible.
- Lose this muffin top. So far I've been doing pretty well on the modified South Beach diet, including cutting out the wine drinking at night that has become my routine. I want to go to the gym at least twice a week and keep up my running.
- Be a better spouse, being more present (less FB) and consisently doing the things that fill up my spouse's love tank, especially including doing the things around the house neither one of us wants to do, like the ironing and record-keeping.
- Call my grandmas once a week. It's hard to get a hold of both of them, considering neither has an answering machine, but that is no excuse.
- Set aside one day a week to categorize our expenses and review our budget.
- Develop inner poise. J/K. Continue developing more confidence in my own decisions, desires and needs. This means making time for myself to eat right and to fill up my water bottle; taking the initiative to plan activities that I want to do; embracing my flaws and insecurities and stop comparing myself to other people so much. Giving to others always makes me feel less insecure, so when I feel some self-pity coming on, I want to remember to do something good for someone else and see if that helps.
I think that's a good start for now. Happy (belated) New Year. Time to go wrap up the last of my Christmas decorations. :)
We took JM to the greenbelt area dog park by our house yesterday and put him in the baby Bjorn. Was it the many breeds of hounds that caused him to not just shriek, but SCREAM at teh top of his lungs with glee? Not sure, but he was literally screaming his head off with the biggest smile on his face. People passing by, and us, weren't sure what to make of it.
He is totally going to be the kid walking around with the pot on his head from Parenthood.
But we love him. And his lungs. I will say that our child, though sweet, does not hold his emotions inside. He lets you know how he feels. And loudly. His lung development in the womb was suberb (thanks to me, no doubt).
It was a nice Sunday afternoon for all of us, including hound Bella. The sun was shining, the sky was a brilliant shade of sky blue (har), we went for an early dinner at Berry Hill where JM was happily eating his first tamales, rice and black beans (he loved them).... and we came home and watched the Golden Globes.
Friday, January 09, 2009
Holy cats, he can stand!
Originally uploaded by our "nut" house
Wah... can you hear my heart breaking? Our little boy is growing up. Evidence:
- He can crawl.
- He can feed himself. I started giving him those little cereal puffs, which mamas, are GOD'S GIFT. JM is a bit impatient when he's in his high chair and those puppies are a godsend, buying me time to heat up his food.
- His top two teeth are coming in. He has been a MESS for the past two weeks. Waking at 4 am, drooling like a water faucet, wanting to be held, all.the.time. His gums were swollen, but now one tooth has broken through and you can see a little of the other one poking through. Poor baby. Pretty soon he'll REALLY be able to bite your finger off.
- Worst of all....I can't take these all coming all at once. This morning I was holding his fingers and he was standing so well that I wanted to see what would happen if I gave him something to hold onto and crikey, he can STAND.
These "big boy" steps are all happening too fast. I can't take it! I want time to stop! :(